Monday, April 23, 2007

on a brighter note

I have become comfortable enough in my new job to start feeling feisty.

On Sunday we packed off a group of hamsters to a rescue group. I don't know much about hamsters, just enough to know that they are little and furry and that we don't adopt them out; we give them to rescue groups. I give the groups as much information as possible based on the information that is given to me, and they come and get them and adopt them out or keep them or erect shrines to them or whatever it is they do.

Today I got an email from said rescue group. It said,

"Kate,
I just wanted to let you know that one of the hamsters was pregnant and went into labor this evening. Also, there was a male in with a female. I just wanted to let you know so you could take steps to prevent this. Thanks!"

First, I'd like to note that I'm not responsible for caging the critters or determining their sex or pregnancy status. But soon I will be, so I forwarded the email to my boss and the shelter director with the following addendum:

"Oops. I guess the first thing I should learn is how to sex hamsters. I guess at least we're giving them more bang for their buck. However, I suppose a little less bang would have prevented this from happening in the first place."

Does anyone know how long hamsters gestate for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, everyone would benefit from a lot less banging between hamsters and other pets. My damn Black Mollies (fishes) keep having babies! Pretty soon, I'll need a bigger tank. Or...I'm gonna isolate the male.

Anonymous said...

Well, if you have too many hamsters now, you could always send them to a snake rescue group!