Wednesday, April 11, 2007

a whole new world

If I look back to one year ago (or, who are we kidding, two months ago), my life was a completely different thing than it is now. A year ago, I was madly spending money and time on any escape from the drudgery that was my job. Shopping trips, days off, concerts, preparing for a summer of travel and slacking off and disposing of my disposable income in as many fun ways as I could think of. When I wasn't drinking or shopping or socializing I was crouched defensively on my sofa, hiding from the world and my job and everything except my television.

Being a homeowner has changed me in one single, critical way. In all of my 27 years combined I have not spent as much time in Lowes and/or Home Depot as I have in the past two weeks. And I love it. The cross-section of society! The sharp smell of freshly-cut lumber! The staggeringly broad array of lightbulbs!

I have hardly had time for television this week. But by god, I have hung some damn pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you started watching the DIY network yet?