Thursday, January 18, 2007

hello winter

This week has been just a little crazy at work. Like, students returning to school crazy. Like, hours and hours of appointments and answering questions and standing at the front desk like a secretary in inappropriate shoes crazy. So I have not blogged. Which, if you'll remember, I warned you might happen.

I keep forgetting that I'm blogging again--it was so easy to fall out of the habit--and so I never have that much to say. I used to notice things and record them in my head ("I am going to blog that so hard!") but I don't anymore, I just note things and grumble about them and move on to the next frustration or observation or amusement.

But a few things:

1. It is freaking cold outside. How did this happen? I was so thrown off by the global warming we were experiencing, so grumpy about the Christmas in Miami situation we had going on, that I completely flaked on remembering that it would, eventually, get cold. And it did, all at once and overnight. Fortunately, I have never been so prepared for the cold weather: I have my winter coats hanging on the peg by the door, my gloves and scarves organized by color in the foyer. By COLOR, people. I am going to kick winter's ASS this year!

Except that this morning I ran out the door half barefoot and left my gloves on the shelf. It was a damn cold morning, y'all, and it's hard to kick winter's ass when you have a quarter-share in flakiness and a half-ownership in sleep-deprived.

2. I have worn jeans to work every day since I got my "raise." There is no stated dress code in my office, but for the past two and a half years I have done my best to be pretty and professional and sharp (without wearing skirts). I have watched with interest as others in my office, those of the older ilk, have shown up in jeans, in sweats, in shorts, in ratty t-shirts and never received a sideways glance. I have watched with concern as my younger coworkers have worn tailored, attractive denim and been chastised and slammed with passive-aggressive snide remarks. And now that I'm doing my best to be on my way out, I'm going to challenge the status quo and wear jeans until someone says something.

Besides, they say you should dress for the job that you want, not the job that you have. And that's what I'm doing.

3. Eleanor is going to teach me to knit on Saturday, since my massive intellect and multiple degrees have proven inadequate in conquering that particular learning objective. I will finally have a reason to sit upright while watching TV! New Years Resolutions all over the place!

Did I ever tell y'all that I read in a magazine that when you watch TV, you are one step away from death, metabolically speaking? Seriously, like with only sleeping in between the two. I am going to learn to knit and then watch those calories torch!

4. Today I had to stand at the front desk, helping students, for three straight hours. For two of those hours there was a box of Entenmann's doughnuts six inches from my hand. I didn't eat a single one. Not even half of one. Give me a medal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Knitting sounds good. We do jigsaw puzzles..actually ONE jigsaw puzzle and it is damned hard! But for calorie burners while watching I recommend an exercise ball. You can get it really close to the TV and the TV looks good from any position on the ball!!!