Friday, January 05, 2007

An Open Letter to Banana Republic

Dear BR,

I love you. I do. Your website is not only bookmarked in my Explorer, it's the first thing that comes up when I type in "b" in the search bar. I long ago dropped the "Republic" and now affectionately refer to you as "Banana," as if we were old friends. And we are, we are old friends--I still have shirts from you that saw me through more than one frat party (remember that time I put a glowstick in my bra and pulled on the soft black turtleneck sweater over it? everyone couldn't stop staring at my chest. and i did that on PURPOSE. i thought it was FUNNY. man, was i DRUNK). Everything I'm wearing right now is from Banana, in fact, except my shoes.

The thing is, though, old pal, that the reason that I'm able to dress in head-to-toe Banana is because my mother bought me this sweater, the jeans were on sale, and I got the necklace at the outlet. Like many, many twenty-somethings in the DC Metro area who pay $20K a year in rent and $8 a bag for grapes at the grocery store, I cannot just stroll into your retail store and plunk down $100 for a sweater. It's not in my nature and it's not in my budget, and I hate you for this. You are overpriced, and you are a tease, and you have forgotten your roots.

You used to be affordable and friendly. You used to be no better than your preppy-basics relative Gap. Remember that? Don't lie. I know it's almost as embarrassing as my glowstick bra, but it's part of your past and there are those of us who remember where you came from, before you got a couple mentions in Vogue and InStyle and got all overpriced and wannabe-couture.

I have reached my limit of frustration with you. I am tired of searching your sale page and finding that I can't even afford your half-price leftovers. Yesterday I fell in love with a wool knit slouchy handbag on the sale page. I love that bag. I want to marry it. I want to put my whole life in it and carry it around everywhere I go, even in the summer, even to the gym; I want to still have that bag when I'm eighty and I need it to carry around my spare teeth and my calcium pills. But this bag is sale priced at $120 and OH MY GOD that's reduced from $278. Almost THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a bag that isn't even leather. It is KNIT. What is woven into this bag--antioxidants? The pope's hair? Does it rub your back when you are tired? Does it block telemarketers? I do not understand. How can a purse cost three hundred dollars from a store that used to have a fake Cuban guy in a straw hat greeting shoppers and handing out coupons at the door?

I cheat on you with unabashed, shameless abandon now. Most of my clothes come from Old Navy or H&M. But I miss you, Banana. I want you to come back to me. If you started making clothes I could afford again, I'd even put a glowstick in my bra. Just for you.

Kisses and couture,
Kate

1 comment:

holly go-heavily said...

You are right. The bag has antioxidants and the Pope's hair (John Paul, not Benedict) woven into it, gives amazing shiatsu backrups and immediately puts you on the "do not call" list.

Yours Truly,
Banana Republic